Place and liveability
Students will learn how to assess the liveability of Sydney Olympic Park.
Monday - Friday, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Wentworth Common Park, Marjorie Jackson Parkway, Sydney Olympic Park
$625 per class of up to 30 students
Bus drop-off area at Wentworth Common Park, Marjorie Jackson Parkway, Sydney Olympic Park. The bus pick-up point is Cathy Freeman Park, Olympic Boulevard. All-day bus parking in P10f Bicentennial Park.
If you wish to book 5 classes or more for this Urban based excursion, email us at [email protected].
Update on 2024 education programs
We will no longer be delivering school excursion programs due to changes in our organisation. Our last programs will be delivered in June 2024.
About the excursion
Students will learn how to assess the liveability of Sydney Olympic Park by experiencing first-hand the environmental, social and economic sustainability that is at the forefront of its past and future planning. Students will identify characteristics that make it a desirable suburb to live, work, learn, play and stay. Students will engage in a variety of fieldwork tasks and skills, including a liveability survey, an urban transect, reading interpretive signage, using current and historic images and taking their own photographs to gather information.
Year 7 and 8 students will discover how Sydney Olympic Park has transformed from an industrial wasteland to the site of the much-loved ‘Green Games’ and now to the 7th largest economic centre in Sydney.
Students will see environmental, social and economic sustainability in action and learn about design and development strategies to make it a world-class suburb to live, work, learn, play and stay!
- Using fieldwork skills to a conduct liveability survey.
- An urban transect to identify services.
- Using the Park’s interpretive signage to learn about sustainability initiatives.
- Interpreting current and historical images.
- As a post-excursion project, students use the information they collect during the excursion to propose strategies to improve the liveability of a place in Australia.
Syllabus information and learning outcomes
Stage 4 Place and Liveability
|GE4-1||locates and describes the diverse features and characteristics of a range of places and environments|
|GE4-3||explains how interactions and connections between people, places and environments result in change|
|GE4-4||examines perspectives of people and organisations on a range of geographical issues|
|GE4-7||acquires and processes geographical information by selecting and using geographical tools for inquiry|
|GE4-8||communicates geographical information using a variety of strategies|
Key inquiry questions
- What effect does environmental quality and access to services have on people’s well-being?
- What approaches can be used to improve the liveability of places?
- Influences and perceptions
- Access to services and facilities
- Environmental quality
- Enhancing liveability