Sydney Wetland Institute
Connecting wetland science and practice through sharing knowledge.
The Sydney Wetland Institute (SWI) is a knowledge hub for best practice in urban wetlands. It provides a focal point for managers, researchers, students, public and the sector as a trusted centre for knowledge and networks relating to urban wetlands in Australia and the rest of Asia-Pacific. It aims to formalise linkages across capacity building activities offered at Sydney Olympic Park and elsewhere to create a recognisable and reliable body for urban wetland education, industry research, community engagement and partnerships.
SWI is an extension of Sydney Olympic Park’s field-based school excursion programs (offered for over 30 years) and Wetland Education and Training (WET) programs delivered for wetland professionals over the last 20 years. SWI also aims to coordinate Technical Tours and Citizen Science activities whilst facilitating further research.
Wetland Training in Blue Carbon: Science, Policy and Implementation in Australia
Tuesday 27 February 2024 (virtual)
Thursday 29 February 2024 (on-site)
The program is based on experiential learning and hands-on tools and techniques in blue carbon techniques and also solving problems around estuarine wetlands. It emphasises primarily on the practical aspects of blue carbon science and tools. The sessions will take participants through the following:
- Fast-track familiarisation with blue carbon plus mangrove-saltmarsh ecosystems
- Field demonstration of measures undertaken to estimate blue carbon
- Examples of adaptive management measures of estuarine wetlands in response to Sea Level Rise and Climate Change
- Detail discussions in future management challenges
Costs and registration
Fees include: workshop, lunch, field studies and workshop notes.
2 days (incl-gst) - $830
1 day (incl-gst) - $475
Please note: Limited places are available. Registrations close on 9 February 2024. Refunds are conditional.
For more information and bookings email [email protected] or call 02 9714 7424.
The following group of wetland academics, professionals and practitioners help to guide the direction of the Institute’s programs and activities:
- Emeritus Prof Colin Field - UTS, Panel Chairperson
- Associate Prof Cameron Webb - NSW Department of Med Entomology
- Ms Geraldene (Mia) Dalby-Ball - Kingfisher Urban Ecology & Wetlands
- Dr Joanne Ling - NSW Department of Planning Industry & Environment
- Adjunct Prof Max Finlayson - Charles Sturt University
- Mr Mike Bartlett - Sydney Olympic Park Authority
- Prof Neil Saintilan - Macquarie University
- Mr Rob Williams - DPI - Fisheries
- Dr Swapan Paul - Sydney Olympic Park Authority
- Nell Graham - Parramatta River Catchment Group
- Danny Wiecek - NSW Department of Planning Industry & Environment
- Jasmine Payget - Parramatta River Catchment Group