Landscape and landforms
Discover the landscape and landforms of Parramatta River's largest stand of protected coastal wetland mangroves.
Monday - Friday, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
Sydney Olympic Park Education Centre, Bicentennial Park
$625 per class of up to 30 students
Bus drop-off area and all-day bus parking in P10f.
Update on 2024 education programs
We will no longer be delivering school excursion programs due to changes in our organisation. Our last programs will be delivered in June 2024.
About the excursion
Discover the landscape and landforms of Parramatta River's largest stand of protected coastal wetland mangroves. Your year 7 and 8 students will enjoy hands-on outdoor activities using a range of fieldwork skills to gather primary and secondary data.
Students will also learn how the Wangal, traditional custodians of this area, sustainably utilised wetland environments.
- Use a Geographic Information System (GIS) to map environmental changes over time.
- Conduct a vegetation transect and use plant identification charts.
- Complete a field sketch using weather instruments and environmental monitoring equipment.
- Learn about the relationship that the local Aboriginal people, the Wangal had with the landscape.
Syllabus information and learning outcomes
Stage 4 Landscapes and Landforms
|GE4-1||locates and describes the diverse features and characteristics of a range of places and environments|
|GE4-2||describes processes and influences that form and transform places and environments|
|GE4-4||examines perspectives of people and organisations on a range of geographical issues|
|GE4-5||discusses management of places and environments for their sustainability|
|GE4-7||acquires and processes geographical information by selecting and using geographical tools for inquiry|
|GE4-8||communicates geographical information using a variety of strategies|
Key inquiry questions
- What environmental and human processes form and transform landscapes and landforms?
- Why do people value landscapes and landforms?
- To what extent are landscapes and landforms sustainably managed and protected?
- Landscapes and landforms
- Value of landscapes and landforms
- Changing landscapes
- Landscape management and protection