Wedding ceremonies FAQ's
What is included in wedding ceremony hire?
- The fee includes exclusive use of your location for up to four hours*. This includes your set-up and pack-down time.
- Photography permit fee to take photos in Sydney Olympic Park on the day of your ceremony.
- Park Ranger assistance with escorting your suppliers to and from your booked location within the period booked.
All other facilities within Bicentennial Park are for shared public use. Access to facilities such as barbeques, car parks, paths, playgrounds and toilets are on a first-come, first-served basis. Events must not interfere with the general use of the public facilities.
*If you require additional time or assistance, please contact [email protected] for availability. Additional fees apply. Locations include the Arc of Pines, the Treillage and the Jetty only. Each area has specific restrictions, availability and hire boundaries. The Arc of Pines public walkway and cycleway must remain open and accessible to park users at all times.
What are the opening hours for Bicentennial Park?
Opening hours are from sunrise to sunset.
Bookings must finish 30 minutes prior to the Park’s closure ensuring everyone has departed prior to the gates being locked.
What times are available for bookings?
During daylight savings, there are two time slots:
Both time slots can be booked if the area is required all day.
Monday to Sunday:
- 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
- 3:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Non daylight savings, there is one time slot:
All bookings must fall within a four-hour period including supplier set-up and pack-up times. Please ensure your suppliers are aware of these time limits. For additional set-up and pack-up times, please enquire at [email protected]. Additional fees apply.
Monday to Sunday:
- 10:00 am – 4:30 pm
How many guests can I have?
Guest numbers include the wedding party and event organisers on-site.
- Arc of Pines and the Treillage: up to 200
- The Jetty: up to 30 (Mon–Fri only, excluding public & school holiday periods)
What furniture and decorations are permitted at wedding ceremony locations?
- Weighted freestanding decorative items such as an arch or arbour are permitted. Items cannot be pegged into the ground or enclosed (cannot have any closed sides). Your arch or arbour (or similar) must be weighted as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Its use on the day is at the discretion of the Park Ranger (in terms of positioning and current weather conditions including high winds, high fire danger and public amenity.)
- Two tables – for signing, check-in and/or refreshments
- Seating for up to 80 people
- Floral decorations and signage (no soil is to be brought into the Parklands)
- Carpet or runners
- Lectern (stage not permitted)
Please note: marquees or tents are not permitted at the Arc of Pines or the Jetty. Some structures (max 3m x 6m) are permitted at the Treillage. All structures must be approved prior to confirmation and Engineer’s Certificate is required.
What decorations and fixings are not permitted?
- Decorations cannot be attached to trees. Approval must be sought for any decorative items
other than those mentioned previously
- Any candles, fireworks (any form), sparklers, fires and bamboo torches are not permitted
- Signs, streamers, balloons, sticky tape, rope or similar must not be attached to trees, plants or frog fences
Is the use of confetti, petals or rice permitted?
Unfortunately, no. Confetti, bio-confetti, rice, flower petals or similar are not permitted, as these often contaminate the natural environment and become a hazard to our wildlife.
Can we have candles or lanterns?
Unfortunately, no. Fire and/or flames are not permitted, as they are a high-risk hazard to the surrounding natural environments.
Can we rent equipment from Sydney Olympic Park?
Unfortunately, no, we do not have any equipment for hire.
How do our suppliers access the locations?
- Motorised vehicles are only permitted on public roads and car parks unless prior arrangements to access lawns or footpaths have been made as part of the site hire agreement. Permission will only be granted to vehicles carrying equipment for site setup.
- Vehicles approved to access the site along pathways, before, during or after an event, may only do so with the escort of Sydney Olympic Park Authority staff or Security Rangers and must display a Sydney Olympic Park Authority service vehicle permit if remaining on site.
- Vendors and vehicles carrying equipment for site set-up are to contact the Park Rangers on 0408 864 798 to arrange a suitable meeting place to have an escort, no less than half an hour before arriving on site.
- A maximum of 4 escorts per booking will be supplied.
- Guest and service vehicles that are parked contrary to marked parking may incur
Can we bring pets to our wedding ceremony?
Yes. Dogs are permitted and must be kept on a leash at all times. All signage pertaining to dogs must be adhered to. Certain areas of the Parklands prohibit dogs. Any other pets must be approved prior to being organised as part of the event.
Can we release doves or similar at our ceremony?
Unfortunately, no. The release of birds, butterflies, animals, fish, plants and balloons is not permitted.
Can we use a caterer for our ceremony?
Unfortunately, no. Commercial suppliers for catering are not permitted. Refreshments such as bottled water, juice or small snacks (BYO) are permitted upon application.
Can we serve alcohol at our ceremony location?
Yes. You can serve your own alcohol (BYO) but must strictly observe the Responsible Service of Alcohol practices in NSW. Alcohol must not be served to minors. Your intention to provide alcohol must be provided in writing when booking.
Alcohol cannot be sold at your event. Our Park Rangers will ensure RSA principles are adhered to and will escort any intoxicated person off-site.
Can we have amplified sound such has speakers and a microphone for our ceremony?
Yes. Amplified noise must be kept to a minimum to not disturb other park users. The level of amplified noise must not exceed 5dBA above the ambient background noise, a legal requirement of the Environmental Protection Agency.
Can we have a band, music or singer/entertainer?
Yes, although the level of amplified noise must not exceed 5dBA above the ambient background noise.
Is power available at our ceremony location?
Unfortunately, no. Power is not available in Bicentennial Park.
Some generators are permitted and bunting must be installed under and around generators to contain leaks and spills. Check with the Booking Co-ordinator as to types of generators that can be used. Generators must be placed outside the drip line of trees and/or a minimum of 3 metres from the trunk of any tree.
Where can my guests park?
Free parking is available in Bicentennial Park on weekends with restrictions. At all other times, there are restrictions such as 2P (2-hour parking limits). Let your guests know that they should allow extra time to park and walk across to your ceremony. The Park is large with numerous parking bays. During peak usage, parking may be difficult. Traffic flow is one way from the entry on Australia Avenue to the exit on Bennelong Parkway.
Nearest parking areas to your location:
- Arc of Pines and the Jetty: please ask your guests to drive around to 10a, P10b or
legal street parking close to these signposted areas.
- The Treillage: guests can drive around to P10E, P10F or legal street parking close to
these signposted areas. Please ensure you check time restrictions as they differ in various locations.
- P3 Multi-storey Car Park: Guests may choose to book parking prior to your ceremony. The P3 Car Park is accessed via Sarah Durack Avenue and is the closest car park. Allow at least 15 minutes to walk across to Bicentennial Park. For convenience, we recommend carpooling.
- Receptions at Waterview: Overflow Parking area. If you have booked your wedding ceremony with the Waterview Function Centre, your guests may have access to the overflow car park. You would have received information about this directly from Waterview. Sydney Olympic Park Authority now operate the overflow parking.
Can we cancel our booking after it has been booked and confirmed?
Sydney Olympic Park Authority reserves the right to cancel any site hire if circumstances prior to or during the event may result in issues of safety or damage to property.
An event can be postponed within 12 months of the original date of the hire of the site by contacting the Bookings and Sales Team, 7 days prior to a booking.
Please be aware that no refunds are payable. Sydney Olympic Park Authority may cancel a site hire, if the hirer has not made payment in full by the due date.
What do we do if it is raining on the day of our booking?
In the case of a cancellation due to wet weather the Park Ranger must be notified by phone on 0408 864 798 prior to 9:00 am on the day of the event and an email should be sent to [email protected].
Please be aware that no refunds are payable.
Is there shelter in case of rain for wedding ceremonies?
Unfortunately, no, there is no wet weather option available and marquees, tents or tarpaulins are not permitted. Please speak to your wedding reception venue to discuss a Plan B if the weather is not looking favourable, alternatively, we can postpone your booking (please note that refunds are not available under our Terms and Conditions).
You may consider booking an additional location within the parklands to continue your celebration. Please check the availability of other site hire locations with the Booking Coordinator to discuss options and availability.
Please note: If there has been heavy rain in the days leading up to your event the ground may be water-logged. In the case of a cancellation due to wet weather, the Park Ranger must be notified by phone on 0408 864 798 prior to 9:00 am on the day of the event and an email should be sent to [email protected].
Please be aware that no refunds are payable.
Where are the closest amenities?
- Arc of Pines and the Jetty: next to the Café at the Waterview Function Centre.
- The Treillage: at the Education Centre.
What does a wedding photography permit include?
Permission to take wedding photos in any area of Sydney Olympic Park on the day of your ceremony. This does not include exclusive access to any part of the Park. Some areas may not be accessible due to the staging of other events.
Please note that drone use is not permitted in any area of Sydney Olympic Park, including Bicentennial Park.
Can we use a horse and carriage to transport us to the wedding?
This is permitted upon application only. Approval must be sought and confirmation will be made in writing. Please commence this process prior to booking with us. A minimum of 14 days is required to process this application.
Do I need to organise my own chairs, arbour, carpet and signing table?
Yes. Once you have booked either the Arc of Pines or the Treillage you can organise your own stylist or supplier to provide any of the above. However, there are restrictions in the parklands, be sure to check what is permitted before booking. Emails can be sent to: [email protected]. The Jetty is bare site hire only.